Thursday 17 June 2010

Wake up time.



When you have been home a few months on your first maternity leave you get a first hand experience of reality and while changing the Nth diaper of the day on your dahlin' you see your illusions flying away.

When I was working I genuinely thought that I would have THE perfect maternity leave/ time off for myself. Babies sleep for hours and all they need is food and a new diaper. Sure, I knew there were sleepless nights but how bad could it be? And frankly they have been kinda all right. Thanks to Dave I get my 3-4 hour power naps in the night.
What I hadn't thought about though was everything around it...Suddenly you're a mom, sure. But you're not just a mom you're also a housewife. Eh..ok. You realize with time that waking up at 9:00 in the morning, even if your little one is asleep, is not that great any more. I mean what better time to have breakfast, clean, dish and decide what to make for lunch/ dinner?
And why is there so much stuff in the house? Why do we need so many cushions on the couch anyways? Clothes, there are clothes everywhere. Yepp, we need bigger. Bigger with a maid.

But seeing that smile on Ben's face when he gets up or when he makes his tiny tiny sounds makes every second worth it. The poor kid has scratched his face in his sleep, again. But what do you do about nails that grow everyday? No, I'm not exaggerating, and I think (hope, really hope) many would agree...that baby nails are probably the fastest growing things you can come across. You file them one day and the next day you're searching for the filer again.

But this is also a part of it right? The scratching, the hurting, the worrying? They say that the older they get the bigger the problems get. But more fun to be with as well, right? I mean a few months and he'll be DOING things not just lying back or sitting in his chair looking at mobiles and gurgling. This is cute but that will be fun. Real fun.
And no, let's not even bother to ponder over the problems or worries associated with that right now.

Besides, no more diapers, no more late night feedings, no more wordless burst outs....I mean, how hard can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment